Skip to main content

Wondering about registering for the new CAP Information Service?

Posted by: , Posted on: - Categories: CAP Reform

Two weeks ago we wrote a couple of posts for this blog, one on GOV.UK Verify and one on getting ready for the Basic Payment Scheme.

A few of you have commented on these posts and we thought a reply would be helpful.

We’ve now got more information on GOV.UK Verify here and in this post we’ll set a few things straight as to how and when we are asking customers to use the new CAP Information Service (the online application and payment service for new CAP schemes, including the Basic Payment Scheme).

Firstly, we are not going to encourage all customers to start using the service all at once.  Why? We want to avoid the pitfalls of ‘big bang’ IT programmes where a service is produced behind the scenes and then ‘launched’ in one go to all customers.  With this new online service we are both developing it and introducing it to customers in a controlled way, making sure that what customers can do on the service – and how they register for it – is working well, by asking a few customers to use it, making improvements, then inviting more customers.

How are we choosing those customers?  Based on our data, we are selecting different groups of customers that can help us learn most about what the service is like to use; some who used SPS online, some who used paper forms this year, and soon we’ll start inviting farming agents and their clients.

Secondly, when it’s time for you to register and start using the CAP Information Service, we’ll contact you directly and send you a Registration Pack letting you know that it’s time.  You might get one in a few weeks, you might get one later in the year, but when you do receive it we need you to get started as soon as you can.

We are doing this step by step to make sure the service is the best that it can be.

Getting online - extra help for those that need it

We know some people are not online at present and some may have challenges applying online. We have already contacted more than 12,000 customers who applied for the Single Payment Scheme on paper to help identify whether they may need extra help. We will continue to contact customers who applied on paper to ensure they get access to help if they need it.



Sharing and comments

Share this page


  1. Comment by Jonathan Young posted on

    Would you please confirm what a claimant should do who owns neither a passport or driving licence. Will any other forms of identity be acceptable or do you recommend we arrange for them to apply for a passport or provisional driving licence now?

    • Replies to Jonathan Young>

      Comment by Alice Hammond posted on

      Customers will need to prove who they are in order to use the new digital service. Nobody is excluded from using it if they can’t register through GOV.UK Verify, such as in your example if they don’t have a passport or driving licence. If customers try and are not able to use GOV.UK Verify, there is an alternative available. We’ll shortly be posting up further information on this.

  2. Comment by C.Dennis posted on

    The whole system gets more and more complicated. As a small farmer I spend wet days trying to understand yet another complicated system, when I should be tending to the land. What happened to the days when all we had to do was produce food as opposed to producing paperwork.

  3. Comment by A. N. Agent posted on

    Well Mr(s) Dennis, as I always advise my clients who complain about the hoops to jump through to get SPS/BPS, there is a simple alternative: Don't claim.

    No forms, no cross compliance & no inspections to worry about. Of course, no money either.

    The choice is yours.

  4. Comment by Mr R Smith posted on

    So what are you doing to replace CSF? Catchment Sensitive Farming.

    You said in a public statement that the info would be available in October 2014. Where is it? I can't find it on google nor on defra site. Nor do u have an email or a phone number to contact for info on your "blog".

    Can I get more than the £5k / yr that u said people without a 12mth + agreement would get? ie If I enter into a 5yr agreement then HOW much "new" CSF per yr can I apply for?

    What does you mean by saying the CSF replacement will focus on "Boundary Features"? - which ones? Have u included: wood banks, devon banks, stone walls, hedges, Standard trees in hedges, fencing, ditching, leats, streams?

    AND you haven't answered the previous person's question about not having a passport of driving licence -you just fobbed them off - WHAT is the alternative that you talk about?

    pls reply asap - many thx!

    • Replies to Mr R Smith>

      Comment by Alice Hammond posted on

      The Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) capital grants scheme is being integrated into the new Countryside Stewardship scheme. More information on this was published in the most recent CAP Reform announcement, Introducing Countryside Stewardship. Go to

      This noted that we currently plan to make capital grants of up to £10,000 per holding available for works in 2015 to reduce water pollution from agriculture. Page 9 of the leaflet sets out further detail of the 2015 scheme.

      We will publish more information about water capital grants in our next update in December, including information on what is available beyond 2015 and the relationship with other agreements on offer through Countryside Stewardship.

      The Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) capital grants scheme is not being replaced by the Hedgerows and Boundaries Capital Grant, which is a separate strand of Countryside Stewardship mainly for small-scale restoration of boundary features, like hedgerows and stone walls.

      If you can’t use GOV.UK Verify to register for the new rural payments service - because you don`t have a passport or valid driving licence or for any other reason – you can call a RPA helpline. This will be included in your invitation to register.

  5. Comment by Dr J P Doody posted on

    I am Clerk to a small Charity which owns about 4 acres of land of high nature conservation value (SAC and SSSI). This is part of a much greater parcel of land. It receives has a HLS scheme from which by agreement with the major land holder we receive a proportion of the payment. How does the Charity, which up until now gets about 15% of its income from the SPS, replace this? Do we need to register with the CAP Information Service to transfer our entitlement ? Can we transfer our entitlement post October 2014? We are already registered with the RPA on the Government Gateway.

    • Replies to Dr J P Doody>

      Comment by Alice Hammond posted on

      Your entitlements will be converted automatically into Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) entitlements. You will be able to transfer BPS entitlements using the new rural payments online service from early 2015. You will need to register to use it as the Government Gateway does not provide access to this service.

      Claimants who are below the minimum claim size in 2015 (based on their 2014 claim) will not be sent further information about registering unless they call the Rural Payments helpline on 03000 200 301.
      Therefore we recommend you call the Rural Payments helpline and ask to be registered. Once this has been done you will then be able to transfer them online next year.

  6. Comment by Robert Campbell posted on

    Just reading this leads me to one question How will I know that I should have been sent an invitation to register but either it has not been sent or it has got lost in the post? We desperately need a well publicised deadline date by which time we all should have received the necessary invitation to register so we can take action if we have not heard anything. I do not fancy doing the whole thing in early May when by now I would normally have got my SPS form about 90% complete.

    • Replies to Robert Campbell>

      Comment by emilyball posted on

      We have posted some further “answers to agents’ questions”, including what to do if you are unsure if you are known to us as an agent. We are continuing the controlled rollout of the new Rural Payments online service. Agents and their clients - some 32,000 RPA customers in total - are our main focus for the rollout in the coming weeks.

      If you`re an agent who has not yet received an invitation don`t worry; you`ll receive one very soon.

      If you a BPS claimant you can expect to be invited onto the service early in the new year. This will be via email for those who are online and by letter if we don`t have an email address for you.

  7. Comment by E P Butt posted on

    I have received "Its time" guidance to making claim, so assume that Im being invited to start my claim. How do I access GOV UK Verify, I just get the guidance leaflets or blogs. Can you advise

    • Replies to E P Butt>

      Comment by emilyball posted on

      Agents and their clients - some 32,000 RPA customers in total - are our main focus for the rollout in the coming weeks. If you have received an email inviting you to sign in to Rural Payments, it includes instructions on how to get started. If you remain unsure please call the Rural Payments helpline 03000 200 301.

  8. Comment by J Rockliffe posted on

    I only have a paper driving licence and my passport runs out in June so how will I register as an agent? What is the thinking behind a paper driving licence and a passport with less than 6 months to run not being adequate?

    • Replies to J Rockliffe>

      Comment by Alice Hammond posted on

      Hi, you have a choice; you can either call the Rural Payments Agency on 03000 200 301 to create an account. This takes about 20 minutes, lines are open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm. Or you can create an account with GOV.UK Verify.

  9. Comment by Howard Smith posted on

    I am looking forward to try and verify a client who has no computer, no passport , no credit card or photocard drivers licence. I also understand that there are difficulties with bank account details if the accounts were opened before 2007. The whole idea of employing agents like me is that we do the whole process for the clients but the RPA and Government fail to recognise this . This system is already not fit for purpose and the current information which is held should simply be migrated across onto the new system then agents can make the changes required on behalf of their clients

    • Replies to Howard Smith>

      Comment by Alice Hammond posted on

      Hi there - see the reply to your other comment for info on the choices available for registration. Land details from Single Payment Scheme claims in 2014 are migrated across onto the new service.

  10. Comment by Graham McLellan posted on

    If you are already registered on the gov gateway for SBI, BCMS VAT etc will you have to re-sign up to GOV.UK Verify or this just like changing MAFF to Defra to RPA and really the same log in ???

    • Replies to Graham McLellan>

      Comment by Alice Hammond posted on

      Hi there. Government Gateway cannot be used for the new Rural Payments online service. Once invited to register, you can either call the Rural Payments Agency on 03000 200 301 to create an account. This takes about 20 minutes, lines are open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm. Or you can create an account with GOV.UK Verify.

  11. Comment by Liz Letcher posted on

    In the CAP October 2014 update it is stated that " a broadband internet connection with a download speed of 1 Mbps or more.." is required "or the service won't work as well".
    We struggle to get that speed as we are in a very remote area and our landlord doesn't allow above-ground wires etc which affect the skyline.
    What should we do?

    • Replies to Liz Letcher>

      Comment by emilyball posted on

      The service may not work as quickly at less than 1Mbps, aerial photography for example may take longer to download, but the service will still work. If you can't get online to apply for BPS digitally, call 03000 200 301 as there is extra support available to help you.

  12. Comment by Eileen posted on

    I have 35 acres of land, 10 acres in England and 25 in Wales. About 200 metres of hedge borders some (one else's) arable land in England and the welsh land has more than half in an ssi and woodland . Have never claimed before as thought I was ineligible. Can anyone tell me the rate to be paid if I qualify to see if it is worth the hassle and what % do agents charge?